Wednesday, September 06, 2006

What's the opposite of Blackout?

The obvious answer to the question is Wite-Out, that gloppy liquid that smears over mistakes in a term papers. But let's be honest: the error is still usually visible, and the pen ink looks sloppy and shaky when written on unevenly applied Wite-Out. The future reader of that paper is going to think that the writer is either a) sloppy and lazy, or b) an environmentalist. Any way you cut it, Wite-Out is no good.

Wait -- that's not what this is all about. (Though, I'll tell you that as a one-time sloppy environmentalist, I tried to disguise my hand-writing as typeface, quite unsuccessfully.)

It's one year and one day after my last post, "Blackout," on Better Than Hamlet.

One year later, I find myself 26 years old, about 7 pounds heavier, and living with a boyfriend and two cats in Chicago, IL. I've spent a draining year chasing stories and learning about things like "winter" and "layering."

But Friday, I'll be back on a plane to Paris, France for a four-month stint with a news wire service. It never felt right to continue BTH while in Chicago...but I'm hoping Paris will provide me with four more months of post-worthy shenanigans. See you on the other side of the pond.

(PS. Life update for old readers -- While visiting Paris in the spring with my New Boyfriend, I ran into Mme Monnaie on the street, who asked about Matt. The lie continued, even while standing next to New Boyfriend, who was justifiably upset that I didn't take the time to break the age-old myth about my love affair with Matt. Later, I snuck up my old stairwell to show NB where I lived, and found that the doorknob to the old apartment had fallen off. Through the hole in the door, I discovered that I'd left my favorite dish towel behind! Other than that, no big news. Dishes, generally speaking, are still a major problem.)

8 Comments:

At 2:12 AM, Blogger Emily said...

PPS. Upon further examination, it appears that Wite-Out has come a long way since high school. It's now available in pens and tapes! Genius.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

Welcome back, Emily. To be able to read your words again is a good thing.

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh joy! Nico and I were just saying last night that this blog needed to begin immediately. Also, if you still have Rain, please bring it. We saw Flamingo Road at Action Ecoles last night and we are jonesing for Joan.

xoxo

Chris

 
At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must have Joan - right now! Emily if you don't post regularly on this blog I will kill you.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Neha said...

O my god!!Emily, the other day only i was thinking..there used to be this blogger who used to visit ma blog, at a time, when i dint have many blog friends..and today i recieved an e mail from ya tellimg me abt ur update!!
Awesome!!
Keep posting!
Hoping the next update to be not very far from this one!

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Naomi J. said...

Great to see you posting again. Looking forward to new tales of Paris.

 
At 2:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, i was actually looking for the opposite to blackouts but logically speaking it must be where someone has a white flash and instead of losing time gains it. (well thats th opposite anyway, and strange it sounds too), cant find anyhting on the matter so much for the internet.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i lyk dis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home